Album Covers: Heavy Metal

Joke's on you guys, I like heavy metal! I'm a closet Led Zeppelin and Guns N' Roses fan, so ha! In all honesty, though, the only reason I detested getting heavy metal was because I had no idea what I'd shoot. 

Heavy metal is an interesting genre. It's often thought of as loud and aggressive sounding. Since its introduction in the 60s, heavy metal has gone through different phases of evolution. Although it is debated among experts, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple were considered the first heavy metal bands. There is also debate about what is the "real" heavy metal. However, there are many different subgenres of heavy metal. For example: black metal, death metal, avant garde metal, and much much more. 

For my album covers, I took a mysterious and minimalistic approach. I also got inspiration from Kiss's makeup style. First of all, I'd like to mention my sister. I'm so glad I have someone to torture model for me. I even got to do their makeup! That's a first. (Don't judge the star, okay?) Honestly, she's a good model!

After I took pictures, I got straight to photoshop. (Let me leave out the part of sifting through so many pictures. That's not fun.) Once I had the pictures I wanted and where I wanted them, I was set. First, I took the pictures and cut out the unneeded backgrounds, then I added black fill layers to isolate my subjects. Once I had finished that, I added the pictures to my covers. The way I chose my pictures was according to the way they flowed. The red hand flows to the face with red lips which flows to the face with red text. 

What a great segue, while we're talking about text, let me mention my album titles. Iron Forest and Forest Fire were just names I pulled out of my head that sounded absolutely frightening. The song titles I chose were just things that sounded even more frightening. I also tried to incorporate the album and band titles into the songs. Some things I noticed about heavy metal is oxymora and names from the bible. I didn't feel like pulling names out of the bible, so I tried being clever. 

Honestly, I wanted classical because that's really me! I love classical music. However, I made do with what I had, and I'm really happy with the results. I'd love to do something like this again! 

Front Cover

Inside Cover

Back Cover







1 comments :

 

About

Just a girl taking pictures of the world she'll rule someday.