California 2013

Last Friday, went to Northern California! We're currently still here, but we're leaving on Thursday. This has been one of the most fulfilling trips I've taken in my whole life. I finally got to see family I haven't seen in more than a decade. The end is imminent and it breaks my heart to think about it. So let's pretend the end is eons away and the homework I have is fading away. 

I've been bouncing from Half Moon Bay to Tracy to Pleasanton to Fremont. My family is all over NorCal, so it's a ton of work to see everyone, but it's absolutely worth it. 

My relatives just left, and I feel like a piece of me has left with them. These have been the quickest days of my life and I would not have spent them any other way. My biggest mistake was not saying goodbye to some of them; I assumed we would meet again before we leave. However, I would rather prefer we trade "see you soons" rather than "goodbyes". 

Lately, I have been pondering about life. I feel amazed that we, as people, don't know the next time we'll see someone, if we've seen someone before, or if we'll even ever see each other again. People come and go, and we don't know when that will happen. Life is short, but the time feels even shorter. With seven billion people on this planet, it's unlikely that we will meet everyone, but make do with who you do meet. Meeting new people is the same as traveling, there's new experiences and stories to be found.

That being said, appreciate the people around you because you never know when you'll meet again. 

On a photography note, Northern California (actually California in general) is rich in visuals. I cannot walk 100 feet without seeing a moment to capture.

A large majority of my photos are from Stanford and the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay. They, by far, have the most breathtaking views around here.

Today I'm going to San Francisco to take in the views. Wish me luck!

I won't write too much, but I'll give you my commentary on what I love. 


Can someone buy me a wide angle lens, pretty please? Maybe if I ask nicely?


Hoover tower looming in the background just strikes a chord with me.


So much more interest is created with my brother looking out of frame. I can't really say much more.


I took a peek at her drawing, she's better than I'll ever be. Drawing is like photography, but with a lot more patience and imagination. I'm envious.


 "The decisive moment" as coined by street photographer, Henri Cartier-Bresson, is the moment you will never get back. It's the moment where you need to make the photo. I feel I had my first moment right there in Stanford. Absolutely unforgettable.


Memorial Church along with the pattern on the ground just makes something so eye-catching. I decided  to convert this photo because of the busy colors. I wanted to draw attention to the patterns and architecture. (We all know I'm a stickler for architecture photography.)


Funny story, when we arrived at Stanford, a man stopped at every point we stopped at and always asked for people to take his picture. He had such eclectic poses ranging from the thumbs up to Gangnam Style all while posing in front of everything. Turns out he's a tourist from France. I took his photo for him, he's a cool guy. Shame he won't get this one.


There's many walkways at Stanford that look like this. The repetition leading your eye to the man at the vanishing point is what keeps me coming back to this photo again and again. 


I have much to learn about interior photography. Memorial church is so magnificent, I could not fathom every single detail in such a short amount of time. (And could someone get me that ultra wide angle lens, pretty please?)


As I was taking this photo, I was being dodged by students on their bikes getting to class. My perspective is slightly to the side because I decided not to get in the middle of the path again. Photography is such a dangerous hobby.


"I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike."


I sometimes feel some regret taking photos of people and they don't ever get to see them. Then I wonder if I've been in that position.


From the Hoover Tower looking down, you can see all of Stanford. Somehow, things look a little less spectacular when they're smaller. (I stuck my camera lens through the railings and I almost peed my pants with terror.)


My father, my cousin, and my uncle discussing the university. My cousin works there so it was great to meet with him again. I'm happy I bonded with my family, the years passed too quickly.


Inquisitive Ralph.
He modeled for a short series I made.


Pretentious Ralph.


Sitting Ralph.


Tiny Ralph.


Hoover tower never ceases to amaze me.


Ritz Carlton, Half Moon Bay. By far one of the best places I have stayed in my life. The view is absolutely breathtaking. (Do you see the man?)


Hello! My two brothers and my cousin can spy on us and we can spy on them. This is why we close our blinds, everybody.


There's a bagpiper that plays at the hotel. I like his kilt.


I finally had a tripod to use, but it was too tired to walk down to the beach twice. It's quite a bit of a walk to the beach! I actually like the long exposure from above. This was on bulb mode, so I was pressing my remote for about a minute. Before this, I was very uneducated about long exposures outside. I found out that I need just enough light to focus and dark enough to not have my picture overexposed. Of course I could do manual focus, but I was too short! 


Ah, Altamont Pass. The view speaks for itself.


The views at Altamont Pass are indescribable. The hills and the windmills create something so strong. (Yes, I know. Energy.)




7 comments :

  1. Kristen, I love these pictures. The landscapes are so cool, and I love all of your explanations to the pictures as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great haahah and oh my gosh the ones of Ralph :'D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photography is amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Esther. I'm absolutely flattered. :)

      Delete
  4. WHERE TO START? The photograph of your father, cuz and uncle is excellent-framed, balanced....the whole works... The "cotton candy" long exposure is great and worth the effort of using a tripod-now you just need a ND filter to help with those bright exposures. The sunset one seems appropriate to end the post-it's not over the top BANG SUNSET, but something more subdued, which works and is easy on the eyes. Nice shots and commentary as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! An ND filter! I actually bought one right before my trip, but it never got delivered in time! I'm sure you can tell how disappointed I was.

      Delete

 

About

Just a girl taking pictures of the world she'll rule someday.