Open Theme #1

Lost

Aperture: f/4 | Shutter Speed: 1/40 | ISO: 1250 | Focal Length: 35mm

In this assignment for Photography, I had to go out and take a few pictures for my first post with pictures. Honestly, I hated this photo with a passion. I was unhappy with my angle; I found my angle to be too low and my lamp seemed not perfectly perpendicular with the brick lines. However, when I was editing this photo, it hit me. As long as it conveys a "message" the minor composition flaws shouldn't matter, right? I found that the juxtaposition of the lamplight against the cold, brick wall reminded me of a traveler stuck within a maze searching to get out. It also gave me a Harry Potter-esque vibe. My main subject, the lamp, stands out wonderfully agains the monotonous brick wall. When I saw it outside, I knew I just had to snap it! I'm especially content with my lighting. I took this around 5PM when the sun was just about to go down; the "golden hour." I should've tried getting more improved shots, but, unfortunately, it was -5 degrees outside and I was starting to get frostbite! Ouch!

Orchid Life

Aperture: f/4 | Shutter Speed: 1/125 | ISO: 4000 | Focal Length: 105mm

After my struggle to take photos outside in the cold weather, I gave up and went inside to see what I could do. I found that my main subject, the orchid stood out well against the backdrop. I feel that my background is a secondary subject because I feel that the white wall containing the two flowers and the beige wall containing the bud gives a vibe of separation between the stages of floral life. I love how the focus is on the flowers and the rest is absolutely "bokehlicious" (nice and blurry). Although, I wish I had paid more attention to that line in the back; I should've straightened it. I feel that it's slightly tilted. Honestly, I ended up "making" this photo when I saw the flowers and ended up thinking about the "pretty" photos everyone likes. *sigh* 

La Vie En Rose

Aperture: f/4 | Shutter Speed: 1/50 | ISO: 12800 | Focal Length: 80mm

I'm infatuated with this photo. The two flowers (main subject) reaching across the photo just intrigue me. Plus, all the other flowers (the secondary subject), just give the photo extra oomph. The photo makes me feel that the flowers are in a race. When I edited it, I liked how I gave the photo a slight magenta tint to give a more warm ambience. When I saw the pink tint, I thought of the song "La Vie En Rose" (Life in Pink) by Edith Piaf. I notice that the edges of the picture are somewhat grainy (I know, ISO.). Dang.


End of the Line

Aperture: f/4 | Shutter Speed: 1/25 | ISO: 400 | Focal Length: 105mm

One word: MACARONS. I LOVE macarons. This French dessert has absolutely taken over my life. Chocolate, orange, lavender, pistachio, and vanilla are the flavors shown in the photo; although, there are literally dozens of flavors available in the world of macarons. Okay, enough talk about macarons. My main subject is the chocolate macaron, with the secondary subjects, the other flavors, in the background. I love how there is a shallow depth of focus in the photo behind the chocolate macaron. Looking closely though, I see that my chocolate macaron is not in perfect focus. I wish I could turn back time to slap some sense into myself fix that flaw. 

Behind the Photo

Aperture: f/4 | Shutter Speed: 1/20 | ISO: 400 | Focal Length: 105mm

I know, not the most beautiful picture in the world. But I just had to capture the moment. As I was taking pictures of my macarons, I found a little monster ready to pounce. I had a willing model for once in my life! Yes, I did fake the "white tabletop" in my previous photo. Hey, whatever works, right? I love how the secondary subject, my little sister, makes the photo absolutely complete. I always get a good chuckle when I see this photo. If I were to remake this photo, I would improve my composition by reducing the glare on the granite tabletop, straighten lines, and slightly change my angle. I learned my lesson, I should at least think about what I'm capturing before I get something amateur-ish. 





So? What do you think? Any tips? Comments? I'd love to hear your feedback!


1 comments :

 

About

Just a girl taking pictures of the world she'll rule someday.