Cold

For this assignment we had to interpret the word "cold". When I heard the word "interpret" I immediately went to the dictionary to find the different definitions of cold. This is what I came up with.


Noun. A respiratory disorder characterized by sneezing, coughing, sore throat etc.
Shutter Speed: 1/50 | Aperture: f/4 | ISO: 12800 | Focal Length: 105mm

Shutter Speed: 1/100 | Aperture: f/4 | ISO: 5000 | Focal Length: 105mm

For these first two photos, I wanted to be somewhat unorthodox in my interpretation of "cold". In my first photo, I had my model give practically the universal symbol of a "common cold," blowing your nose. I like how, behind my model, I have a box of tissues as if it was waiting to be used in the background. What I don't like, however, is two things. 1) My lighting is so-so. I wish my model was in complete shadow. 2) My choice of background was somewhat poor. I noticed that tissues somehow blend into the background and it's hard to differentiate the wall from the tissue. I wouldn't have this problem if wasn't in black and white, but overall, the pros outweigh the cons. 

For my second photo, I wanted to portray the difficulty of breathing, and the pale and dry complexion one obtains when they have a cold. I really like this photo; to me, I get a vibe of mystery when I see just the mouth minus the rest of the face. It makes a viewer imagine the rest of the face, thus making them think and engage more with the photo. I especially like the way the shadow on the left wraps around her face and neck to give a sort of depth to the photo. I'm not too sure what I'd change about this photo. (Maybe wipe her mouth before taking the photo?)

Noun. A low temperature esp. in the atmosphere
Shutter Speed: 1/125 | Aperture: f/4 | ISO: 6400 | Focal Length: 105mm

For this photo, I portrayed the general interpretation of the word "cold"; I went with the temperature cold. Honestly, my model and I didn't even go outside to take this photo! It was just too cold! I just put my model in front of a large window and had a spotlight work as my light source. I like how the spotlight reflects off the window to act as a backlight for my main subject to separate her from the background, and since the spotlight is in front of my subject, it produces a catchlight in her eye. Furthermore, I enjoy how my model is looking away in the distance, and the way I composed the photo; I left space for her to look into in the frame. Because of this, viewers would be inclined to wonder what my subject is looking at. I'm not too sure how I'd change this photo either. I just really like it. Maybe I'm being too subjective. 

Big thank you to my sister for being a wonderful and cooperative model for this assignment. She is just a doll and too cute! 

Any tips? Comments? I'd love to hear from you! 





0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

About

Just a girl taking pictures of the world she'll rule someday.