Winter Texture


Texture: the feel, appearance, or consistency of a surface.

Honestly, this was a hard assignment. First of all, just finding the willpower and motivation to get outside was virtually impossible. Secondly, finding the right texture was tough.

An insight to my thoughts: "Hey look! That looks like a good texture!" "No way! How does that look like a WINTER texture?!" "Fine..."


Plip Plop
Aperture: f/4 | Shutter Speed: 1/2500 | Focal Length: 105mm | ISO: 1000

Okay, I'll admit this is somewhat pushing it, but I'll post it because I like it. I'm glad that I had my shutter speed fast enough that I could freeze the water droplets. However, I don't like that I had to use an aperture of f/4 so the focus of my picture is poor in the foreground. If I had a speedlite I would be able to use a smaller aperture and have a much more "complete" picture. It was raining outside and the epiphany of shooting water ripples hit me (just like the raindrops). It's a bittersweet feeling I get when I know the snow will be gone soon. 

Bricks
Aperture: f/4 | Shutter Speed: 1/25 | Focal Length: 105mm | ISO: 1000

Two words: pincushion distortion. The lens I use is known to have pincushion distortion at 105mm, but I totally forgot when I shot this photo. I should've shot it a 50mm! D'oh! I can fix it in Photoshop, but since I edited with iPhoto, there's no such option. Originally, there was snow snow on the bricks, so I threw a snowball at the wall to make it look more wintery. Whatever works, right? Out of all the pictures I took for this assignment, I think this one relates the best. 

Leaking
Aperture: f/4 | Shutter speed 1/500 | Focal Length: 105mm | IOS: 1000

It was either this or a cliche photo of snow. You know I wouldn't want to kill you with something so drab. I like how the lines of the wood blocks radiate from one end of the photo and reach the other end; it draws the eye from one end to the other. Looking back, I kind of regret using such a large aperture. *sigh*. If I had to redo this, I would pay more attention to my composition; get slightly lower and catch the end of the icicles. 


1 comments :

  1. Okay Kristen, You have some of the best written comments of anyone in this class-I appreciate you getting down in words what some of your thought processes are in photography-keep that up! Great images too and one can tell you're putting time in-it pays off.

    ReplyDelete

 

About

Just a girl taking pictures of the world she'll rule someday.