Melting

"Yeah! Melting! I have so many ideas for this assignment!" To my detriment, it turns out I got photographer's block. I went out several times to find the right melting pictures. I wanted icicles, yet I there were no icicles in sight. I wanted droplets, yet I couldn't find any droplets.

It's getting warmer outside, where is all the melting occurring? (Totally disregard that we just had a snow day.) 

Woe is me.

Aperture: 1/11 | Shutter Speed: 1/1600 | Focal Length 105mm | ISO: 1000
 Aperture: f/4 | Shutter Speed: 1/5000 | Focal Length: 105mm | ISO: 1000
Aperture: f/14 | Shutter Speed: 1/2500 | Focal Length 70mm | ISO: 1000

When trying to capture the droplets in my photos, I tried experimenting with different settings to find the most optimal set up. I ranked my photos from best to worst. Surprisingly, the 1/1600 tops the 1/5000. Maybe I also just got lucky. My aperture was larger with the 1/5000; although that should help with the exposure, the moss still got washed out. Actually, my final photo, 1/2500 turned out okay, but I found the composition to be subpar, so I ranked it as my worst. Although, I found the shadow of the droplet to be interesting. My two other photos happened to catch other droplets, though, so I have a bit of a bias towards them.

What would actually be a big help is a speedlite. My mark III doesn't have a flash on it, so trying to freeze droplets at fast shutter speeds just doesn't work if you're looking for correctly exposed photos. 

2 comments :

  1. I think you meant "1/5000" was the shutter speed not aperture. The top one is the best-richest color and the droplet falling is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I see the slip up. I just mentioned that my aperture was larger with a 1/5000 shutter speed to compensate for the quick shutter. I'll see if I can reword it!

      Delete

 

About

Just a girl taking pictures of the world she'll rule someday.